Diabetic Shoes

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Medicare coverage provides one pair of diabetic shoes and three sets of diabetic inserts per calendar year as medically necessary. Medicare usually covers 80% of the bill. SOME secondary insurance companies may cover part or all of the remaining 20%. Please follow the instructions below to have the cost of your shoes/inserts/modifications POSSIBLY covered by Medicare. Failure to follow the instructions will cause Medicare to deny your claim.

BEFORE YOU COME IN TO BE FITTED

  1. Get a Prescription from your Physician for Diabetic Footwear
  2. You must see an MD/DO for a Diabetes Assessment within 6 months of shoe fitting (has to be PERFORMED by an MD/DO cannot be signed off on or reviewed by)
  3. Have a Diabetic Foot Exam performed (within 6 months of fitting) indicating that you have one or more of the 6 qualifying conditions (this can be performed by a Podiatrist or any type of Physician)
  • History of partial or complete amputation of the foot
  • History of previous foot ulceration
  • History of pre-ulcerative callus
  • Peripheral neuropathy with evidence of callus formation
  • Foot deformity
  • Poor circulation

PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING TO ORTHOFIT BRACE & LIMB

  1. 1. Your Prescription for Diabetic Shoes
  2. Copy of your most recent Diabetes Foot Exam
  3. Copy of your most recent Diabetes Assessment note
  4. Copy of Insurance Cards
  5. Photo ID

If you do not have all of the above information completed prior to your visit to OrthoFit Brace & Limb, we will not be able to process your prescription. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 757-200-5811.